1. Only 2 real instruments were used in this performance, keyboards and bass.
2. The drums were completely programmed (they sound pretty real to me!)
3. The claps on the recording were a mixture of programmed claps and real claps.
4. Pharrell sang lead vocal but also contributed to the background vocals
5. The lyrics are written at an elementary school level (not that that is a bad thing!)
What can we learn from this?
1. We don't have to rely on heavy instrumentation to make a great song
2. Words don't have to be complex, a good hook can carry a song
3. You can get some great sounds out of programmed instruments
Once again, simple often is all it takes to win a Grammy!